Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:08:02 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: run resume code only for S1-S4 states

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 04:59 am, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 14/04/2009 21:23 Jung-uk Kim said the following:
> > On Tuesday 14 April 2009 11:58 am, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >> Guys,
> >> could you please review the attached patch?
> >>
> >> Its main idea is to make control flow of acpi_EnterSleepState
> >> similar to that of acpi_ReqSleepState: reject invalid state
> >> parameter immediately and handle special S5 as early as
> >> possible. Primary purpose is to avoid running resume code when
> >> it is not necessary - e.g. shutdown_nice() typically returns
> >> immediately after initiating a graceful shutdown by sending a
> >> signal to init.
> >
> > I tried to solve this problem once.  To preserve the current
> > behaviour, you have to clean up sc->acpi_next_sstate and set
> > sc->acpi_sstate to S5 as well if my memory serves.
>
> I am not sure if I understand why/where this could be useful.
> S5 is a "terminal" state, so unless shutdown fails for some reason
> (can there be any?) this shouldn't matter.

Actually, my patch was more complex, e.g., I added more code to make
sure power/sleep button events get ignored and cleared when it is not
in S0 state, etc.  Probably I needed to track the current state
because of it.  I think you may ignore it for now if it is not needed
anywhere else.

Thanks,

Jung-uk Kim