Date:      Fri, 15 May 2009 16:43:09 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        matt@ixsystems.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD jobs

Hi Matt,
> > Several suckers have already enquired to that firm. =A0Hope we might get
> > some Free labour to donate time to Freebsd, Not Stock holders !
>
> Hi Julian,
> Internships are an accepted way for a high school or university

In America. America imported unpaid apprenticeships & indentured
servitude (time limited slavery) from Europe/Britain centuries ago.
Britain dumped both Long since.  (Germany still has some interns
eg in theatre, last described as a rip off).  Condolences that the
"Land of the free" retains medieval European intern practice.

> it is clearly stated that it is a non-paid internship in the post.

Not clear at start.  The word "intern" may be clear warning of No
Money in American dialect, but to British eyes, it was a strange
word out of context & ignored.
	( Monika Lewinsky news first brought the quaint old fashioned
	  American word & concept of Intern back across the Atlantic,
	  but in English, Intern just means certain some workers ).

Posting near end had:			"San Francisco"
Posting in final line had:		"This is an unpaid position!"
Posting should have started
		"USA/ San Francisco - Unpaid job"
	to efficiently enable global readership of jobs@ to delete unread,
	but American-centric censors of global jobs@ messed up as often,

> I imagine that there would be some interested students or unemployed
> people that would love to work with Alfred on a project at Juniper a
> few hours a week in their spare time, for free.

	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jobs/2009-May/000652.html
	"more than 2 hours/day"
That's 1/4 or more of a full time job - _Unpaid_ !
	No offer of money, food, transport, training courses, books,
	hardware to keep.  It undermines labour rates for all BSD
	workers.  The jobs@freebsd.org censors blocked my polite
	post people instead work free for freebsd.org

> It will look great on
> a resume, they will probably learn some valuable skills, and perhaps
> parlay it into a full-time, paid position.

Managers will read:
	"This keen sucker can be kept at Low rates for a Long time".

Better that FreeBSD people work free Not for scrounging commercial
firms & share holder profit, but for charity eg:
	FreeBSD development projects & systems admin (eg send-pr
	base, (parlay into a job requiring corporate support/ trouble
	ticket experience ), FSF, Xorg, Greenpeace, computer
	automating a local library, FreeBSD training lectures to
	schools, fixing BSD install etc for blind / half blind etc.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com