Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:42:57 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dougb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        markm@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r197790 - head/etc

----Security_Multipart(Tue_Oct_27_15_42_57_2009_126)--

Hi Doug, sorry again for the delayed response.  I have been distracted
by a busy few weeks due to my day job...

Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <4AD7B8FA.7020703@FreeBSD.org>:

do> >  I noticed there was something wrong about ${name}_program but it
do> >  seems I mistakenly changed it (sorry...).  Then I received a report
do> >  "it does not work" so I just reverted it.
do>
do> Understood. I am sure you realize that it's always Ok to ask for help
do> here on -rc. The rc.d system is not life-threateningly complex but it
do> does have a lot of "behind the scenes" interactions that are not
do> always obvious. I certainly don't hesitate to ask for review on
do> changes myself and I encourage others to do so (as you have done in
do> the past).
do>
do> FWIW, what I do object to about your changes in r197144 and r197790
do> are that in the first case you neglected to mention that you were
do> changing that part of the code, and in the second you neglected to
do> mention that you were changing it back to what it was before you
do> changed it. That made debugging this problem more difficult for me
do> than (I think) it should have been. You also did not mention that you
do> were removing $command in your changes to route[6]d, which made
do> debugging Mark's original complaint harder, but only for about 30
do> seconds or so. :)

 Yes, indeed.  I should have been more careful and will keep it in
 mind.  Sorry about that.

do> I'm sort of ambivalent about whether we need to continue encouraging
do> people to use command in the script or not. As long as what's in the
do> script matches what's in /etc/defaults/rc.conf we're not hurting
do> anything, although we are duplicating effort.
do>
do> My preference at this point is to let the change that I just made
do> settle for a while, mostly to see if it has any negative interactions
do> with scripts from ports, then MFC it after 8.0-RELEASE along with the
do> changes you've made to the IPv6 stuff. After that we can start talking
do> about ripping command= out of the individual rc.d scripts if people
do> think that's a good idea.

 Sounds reasonable to me.

-- Hiroki