Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:16:16 +0100
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenJDK 6/7 kqueue based NIO provider

Hi,

I'm looking for a kqueue based implementation of java.nio.Selector.

If it doesn't exit yet, I'll have to create it myself. I've already looked at
the code for the EPoll provider and it doesn't seem too hard to create a
kqueue based one. I will have to figure out how to interface with native
libraries though.

The reason is obviously performance. I created a simple nio based echo server
and a kqueue client in C, which creates about 50K simultaneous connections.
Java is completely CPU bound and can only reply to about 100 connections per
second due to immense poll(2) overhead, and it takes ages for all 50K
connections to be accepted by the server.

Input welcome :-)

--
Pieter