Date:      Mon, 24 May 2010 00:50:02 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>, Martin Matuska <mm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: lzma support in `stable' has potential issues

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:58:56PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> 	I recently wiped off my Lenovo again to get a fresh install of
> 	FreeBSD on it, and started out at 8.0-RELEASE (it's the media
> 	that I had on hand at the time). Upgrading to 8-STABLE appears
> 	to be problematic though.  On a few different occasions I ran
> 	into issues doing the following:
>
> 	make -C /usr/src/usr.bin/lzmainfo depend - fails to find the
> 	appropriate headers
>
> 	make -C /usr/src/lib/liblzma install - fails to install the
> 	headers into /usr/include/lzma
>
> 	Etc. I didn't see these issues before lzma was imported into the
> 	tree, which makes me wonder whether or not there are some
> 	missing build or install dependencies somewhere.

buildworld/installworld does the Right Thing(tm), while the above
"one-off" makes do not.

I don't think there's any guarantee "make depend" and "make install" in
the individual /usr/src/{whatever} directories will do what you want it
to.  It seems to be a per-piece thing; there's no "universal standard"
(aside from buildworld/installworld) is what I'm getting at.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |