Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 110 13:59:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        dneum@telelink.com, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig aliasing

> <<On Mon, 13 May 96 17:53:31 PDT, dneum@telelink.com (Dean Neumann) said:
>
> > what is the exact syntax of the "alias" option to ifconfig?
>
> You put the word `alias' somewhere on the command line.  It's not
> fussy, and it doesn't care about the order (so long as the interface
> name comes first).
>
> -GAWollman

	Garrett,

	I tried 'ifconfig ep0:1 alias 205.227.... netmask 255.255...'
	which the system accepted without error, and which seemed
	to add entries into my 'netstat -nr' output.

	However 'ifconfig -a' showed the same number of interfaces
	ep0, tun0, lp0, sl0, and lo0.  Various other permutations
	of parameters like 'ifconfig ep0:1' didn't show the new
	address.  The man page doesn't say anything about querying
	the status and information about aliases interfaces.

	How do I show this information?  Which FM should I R?

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates