Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:47:48 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, ale@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why is the PHP stuff line "off" by default in ports/lang/php5?

--0-1641623713-1284896868=:11124

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 3, Issue 9, Message: 21
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 20:03:46 -0700 patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com> wrote:

 > I don't for sure, but I'd say it's off by default because not everyone
 > runs PHP with Apache, and mod_php5/libphp5.so is strictly for Apache.

No, not everyone installs PHP to use with Apache, but I guess that maybe
half do.  This comes up many times in the last 5 or so years since you
could last install the module from a package rather than only the port.

It's also one of those ports that takes a good while to build on slower
hardware (which of course developers don't tend to run :) but no amount
of requesting a version with '"Build Apache module" on' helped so far.

 > Lots of people use PHP with FastCGI or other purposes.

True, yet those people probably also tend to be less likely to want to
install from packages (when available) anyway.  Sure, adding libphp5.so
to the (or one different?) package would add maybe 3MB to it.  I'd be
happy to spend an extra few MB and minutes to save likely an hour.

 > If you always want it to be on, add the option to /etc/make.conf. Or,
 > if you're using portupgrade or some other port management utility for
 > upgrades, there are ways to set the default options for the ports you
 > use.

Not a problem when you have the horsepower and time to build it, but a
significant loss of ability to install apache+php from packages, as you
once could from the CDs .. guess I just got spoiled back there in the
olden days :)

 > Hindsight is 20/20, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that it's
 > generally considered good practice to test software after upgrading --
 > particularly if it's a web server running websites. Another thing to
 > consider would be running something like Nagios to monitor your
 > systems/sites to make sure things are working properly.

Aye.

 > On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
[..]
 > > A couple hours ago my web server was not running.  I traced it to a
 > > missing libphp5.so.  I checked the makefile and found the php stuff
 > > defaults to "off". ...I am thinking this is a security risk, but most
 > > of us are reasonably sophisticated about such things ....
 > >
 > > Comments, anybody?

Gary, if you install something like MRTG to monitor your servers, you'll
have interesting graphs to ponder over breakfast and you'll get to see
pretty soon when something comes unstuck.  Of course you have to have
your Apache chicken working to lay that egg, but it doesn't need PHP.

FWIW.  I don't expect this policy so long now 'customary' to change, but
I'm cc'ing the maintainer (ale@) in case it may help .. I expect not so
many people run webservers and such on smaller, older systems either ..

cheers, Ian

(busy portupgrading from 8.0-R to 8.1-S fetching mostly packages, -aFPP)
--0-1641623713-1284896868=:11124--