Date:      22 Sep 2010 21:16:33 -0000
From:      Scott Ballantyne <sdb@ssr.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Widescreen Monitor and X Help please

Hi Warren,

> Does the black screen show a mouse pointer?  No escape including
> ctrl-alt-f1?

No mouse pointer, nothing. The X process will be shutdown with a
ctrl-c or ctrl-alt-delete, but the screen remains blank, in "power
saver" mode.

Nothing I do makes any difference on the monitor.

> Try running X without an xorg.conf.

I've done that, and it works just the same. I saw your other message
about HALD and read your interesting link, aei.html. I disabled the
HALD and DBUS, and rebooted, tried again, but with the same results.

Thanks so much,
Scott