Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:32:40 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>, gnn@freebsd.org
Cc:        netperf-users@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forward: Re: Migrating zoo to zoo2...

At 05:06 PM 10/5/2010, Robert N. M. Watson wrote:

>On 5 Oct 2010, at 19:54, gnn@freebsd.org wrote:
>
> > I've talked to Mike at Sentex about completing the upgrade of zoo.
> > Does anyone have a problem with this happening in the next day or so?
>
>Sounds good to me!
>
>Do make sure the compat32 stuff is turned on, so that exiting 32-bit
>binaries on zoo keep chugging along. (I guess this is probably the
>default for 64-bit builds, but I'm not sure I've ever checked).

I think so. I compile this on zoo and ran it on zoo2

[zoo]# gcc -static test.c -o /zoo2/32test
[zoo]#

0(zoo2)# file 32test
32test: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
statically linked, for FreeBSD 7.3 (703100), not stripped
0(zoo2)# ./32test
Hello 64bit world from a 32bit binary
0(zoo2)#

         ---Mike

>Robert
>

> > Best,
> > George
> >

> > At 01:35 PM 10/5/2010, George V. Neville-Neil wrote:
> >> Hi Mike,
> >>
> >> What do we, the users of zoo, need to do in order to migrate to zoo2?
> >> I think it's time we figured this one out.
> >
> > Well, I would like to do it sooner than later. I actually started an
> > rsync process yesterday to sync up /zoo to the new box. Its been
> > running 24hrs and is on the directory zoo/stas/ so it should be
> > finished by the end of today.
> >
> > There are not too many apps / ports to install.  I think most are
> > already in.  I suggest the following this week one day
> >
> > shutdown zoo, remove the 2 zfs drives and put then in new zoo
> > swap the IP configurations between the two boxes and boot up zoo1 as
> > zoo-previous and make it visible internally for a few weeks.
> > boot up zoo2 as zoo.freebsd.org and check configurations etc.
> >
> >         ---Mike

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike@sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike