Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:32:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.ORG, bu7cher@yandex.ru, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backup a partition table with gpart(8)

Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher@yandex.ru> wrote:
 > I'm thinking about such feature like ability to dump partition
 > table into file from which it can be recovered in the future.
 > Also it can be used to copy partition table to another device.
 >
 > At the moment i think that just print out a list of commands that
 > should be done to create the same table it is the easiest way.
 > [...]
 > Any comments and ideas are welcome.

How about an option to dump the table in XML format, and
another option that creates a table from an XML structure?

(I'm not a huge fan of XML, but in this particular case
it might be useful.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"People still program in C.  People keep writing shell scripts.  *Most*
people don't realize the shortcomings of the tools they are using because
they a) don't reflect on their workflows and they are b) too lazy to check
out alternatives to realize there is help." -- Simon 'corecode' Schubert