Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:07:41 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [GSoC] About the idea: Unicode support in vi

Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com> wrote:

> ed seems works, but it's not either vi or ex.
> I'm not typically like ee... I sill wondering why we kept it in base
> system. It does not work when termcap is not correct, so I still need
> to use ed in such a case. Same thing happens to ex-vi.

History:
  ee was added long ago by emacs afficionado jkh@ for the
  sys installer eg /etc/inetd.conf
  Small vi clones in source were available then too, on DOS 3.2 & Minix,
  One was called Stevie, I can't remember the others.

Replacing ee with a mini vi clone would be a return to Unix.
One would need to co-ordinate on <sysinstall@freebsd.org>

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, Not HTML, Not base 64.