Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:17:15 +0200
From:      Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
To:        Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Graphic card that works?

Le Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:56:22 +0200,
Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Nvidia GTX 460 works perfectly fine on FreeBSD and same goes for any
> modern/supported Nvidia hardware (which is basically all of them, save
> for some brain-dead stuff like Nvidia Optimus).

Here it does not work. Watching a video is enought to freeze the box
(using the Xvideo extension). I've tried all the drivers available from
Nvidia with various issues.

> Your stability issues are most probably caused by something else, or
> at least something more specific than simple combination of Nvidia
> 460 and FreeBSD.

That could be. But this is very hard to find the cause, I've moved from
amd64 to i386 to see, and reverted to ad0 instead using ada0.
I'm sure the hardware is working fine (checked memory, works very well
on Windows 2008).

I know that should work, I've got a Macbook pro (nvidia) that works
nicely and my previous machine worked fine too.

Anyway, I would not say that NVidia always works, that is my fourth
box using a nvidia card and only two cards worked well (since FreeBSD
4.7).

So my question is still open:

"Could you tell me a graphic card (pci express) that will work fine
on FreeBSD? (If i can use a dual screen it will be better)"

Thanks, regards.