Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2012 12:38:47 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike A <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug Report: IBM x3650M4 (32GB, 2x4-core Xeon E5-2600, IBM ServeRaid M5110e): fails in install with NMI

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:05:07 am Mike A wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:34:14AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Monday, August 27, 2012 4:38:17 pm Mike A wrote:
> > > IBM x3650M4 (32GB, 2x4-core Xeon E5-2600, IBM ServeRaid M5110e)
> > >
> > > I just got handed 4 of the subject boxes with instructions "put 'em to
> > > work". Naturally I tried FreeBSD first, on one of the machines. Boot from
> > > the 9.0 AMD64 boot-only install CD fails. Things look fine until the last
> > > several lines of the (verbose enabled) boot sequence, which (from an
> > > insufficiently-wide phone camera capture) are:
> > >
> > > "
> > > mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0x3000-0x[lost off right edge of
> > phone]
> > > xc5d00000-0xc5deffff irq 34 at device 0.0 on pci[lost]
> > > mpt0: attempting to allocate 1 MSI vectors (1 su[lost]
> > > msi: routing MSI IRQ 256 to local APIC 0 vector [lost]
> > > mpt0: using IRQ 256 for MSI
> > > mpt0: soft reset failed, device not running
> > > NMI ISA 2c, EISA 0
> > > NMI ... going to debugger
> > > mpt0: hard reset failed
> > > "
> >
> > Does setting 'hint.mpt.0.msi_enable=0' in the loader make a difference?
>
> Thanks VERY MUCH (and come collect your steak dinner at Cattlemen's Cafe in
> OKC, next time you're in the area) for the very quick response.
>
> I will be happy to try that, but need guidance. This is an install from
> CD (burned from FreeBSD-9.1-RC1-amd64-disc1.iso), and I don't know how to
> insert a loader hint in that process.

When the loader menu pops up, choose the "escape to loader prompt" option,
then type 'set hint.mpt.0.msi_enable=0' followed by 'boot'.  There's no
guarantee this will help, btw, just something to try out first.

If that doesn't work, you can also try setting 'machdep.kdb_on_nmi=0' using
the same trick.

If that still doesn't help, please boot another OS that does and get the
output of 'lspci -v' or 'pciconf -lvb' or equivalent so we can see exactly
which mpt adapter it is.  I think there is one class of mpt(4) cards that
we do not yet support properly.  Ah, yes, this PR:

I think this may in fact be your adapter.  This was fixed after 9.0, so try
a 9.1-RC1 install disk instead and see if it works better.

--
John Baldwin