Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:08:40 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: _sx_xlock_hard: recursed on non-recursive sx zfsvfs->z_hold_mtx[i] @ ...cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/zfs_znode.c:1407

--mSxgbZZZvrAyzONB

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:46:07AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I have the exact same problem making: tinderbox and poudriere highly
> unusable.
>
> This is really problematic because pointyhat also rely on nullfs and
> zfs, which means we can't upgrade the building nodes if we need to for
> example.
>
> regards, Bapt

This is zfs bug. Filesystems shall not call getnewvnode() while holding
internal locks. At least not the locks which are needed during reclaim.
Nullfs changes amplified the probability of the problematic situation,
since now nullfs vnodes are indeed cached instead of being recreated
on each access, so the overall count of used vnodes could be twice as
high.

You might try to increase the kern.maxvnodes to reduce the probability of
the recursive calls into vnlnru() from getnewvnode(). But for real, bug
needs to be fixed in zfs.

--mSxgbZZZvrAyzONB

--mSxgbZZZvrAyzONB--