Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2012 06:32:44 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav <des@des.no>
Cc:        Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: x86 boot code build

--i8OEs6gA6Pkg4k/n

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 11:42:35PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
> Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com> writes:
> > Well, do we still officially support any real i386 machines?
>=20
> No, 486 and up only.  Personally, I think we should ship 586 binaries
> (pentium-mmx) by default.
There is absolutely no architectural difference between usermode ISA
between i386 and pentiums, ignoring SMP-support instructions, which are
usually not emited by the compiler anyway.

Really interesting stuff started appearing with pentium pro, like CMOV
instructions. Even more important, -march=3Dpentiumpro generates much
better -fPIC code (probably could be activated by -mcpu=3Dpentiumpro).

Anyway, we shall support 486 in the default 32bit build.

--i8OEs6gA6Pkg4k/n

--i8OEs6gA6Pkg4k/n--