Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2013 00:19:56 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Don Dugger <dondugger47@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User IDs

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 11:49:48 -0800, Don Dugger wrote:
> The question is about dealing with adding users. I been using NIS for a
> while now it works ok however I've had to keep good notes on how to do
> thing mainly because I don't add user or boxes very often. I'm a software
> engineer not a system admin so I not clean on what the best way to deal
> with things like this. The problem is when I added a PC-BSD box and added a
> user with the GUI admin stuff provided it did not let me specify the user
> id so now the users file that are on the nfs mounted drives user id's don't
> match. I can login as root and use chpass and change the user ids but then
> I must go through add they files on the new box change uids and gids.
>
> Question is there an easier way??

If the GUI tool of PC-BSD doesn't cover the specific need you
have, use the CLI equivalent. If you need an interactive way
of adding users, use "adduser", and if you have some time,
read "man pw" and use "pw useradd" (and maybe "pw usermod")
which will cover nearly all imaginable cases.

The advantage of pw is that you can easily script and automate
things. If urgently needed, you could create a GUI wrapper
with Tcl/Tk, but you'll probably find that the CLI tool is
much easier to use.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany