Date:      Sat, 11 May 2013 14:59:46 +0100
From:      "N.J. Mann" <njm@njm.me.uk>
To:        "Gary J. Hayers" <gary@hayers.org>, mexas@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, umq@ueo.co.jp
Subject:   Re: security/libgcrypt checksum mismatch

In message <20130511115228.GC94348@titania.njm.me.uk>,
	N.J. Mann (njm@njm.me.uk) wrote:
> In message <518E2913.5040402@hayers.org>,
> 	Gary J. Hayers (gary@hayers.org) wrote:
> > I've been getting this with varying ports for some time now, sometimes
> > I've had to manually fetch the distfiles.
>
> I am sorry to hear this, but glad I am not the only one.  :-)
>
> The files I have had to manually fetch are:
>
> libgcrypt-1.5.2.tar.bz2
> libassuan-2.0.3.tar.bz2
> libassuan-2.0.3.tar.bz2.sig
> libksba-1.3.0.tar.bz2
> libksba-1.3.0.tar.bz2.sig
> gnupg-2.0.19.tar.bz2
> gnupg-2.0.19.tar.bz2.sig
> gnupg-2.0.20.tar.bz2
> gnupg-2.0.20.tar.bz2.sig

I now know why I get HTML files when trying to fetch these distfiles.
The common factor is that they all use HTTP rather FTP for fetching.
For HTTP fetches my ISP (British Telecom, aka BT) will display a
"helpful" 'sorry no one at home' web page when the fetch fails, and that
is what I end up with in the distfile.  Thankfully, this 'nice' feature
can be disabled.  Once disabled 'make fetch' does its job of trying the
next site after the failure and the proper file(s) are downloaded.

I do not know whether other ISPs do something similar, does anyone?  I
wonder whether FTP sites should be listed before HTTP ones?

Cheers,
       Nick.