Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2013 23:43:10 -0400
From:      Alexander Kabaev <kabaev@gmail.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Undesirable bmake behavior

--Sig_/pNGQDABRMH9DKSF+xgBKJ9Q

Hi,

today I got confronted with this little curiosity from bmake. I have
built and installed the world, and after reboot I ran 'make delete-old'
as root to get rid of accumulated stale files. This is what I got back:

>>> Removing old files (only deletes safe to delete libs)
>>> Old files removed
>>> Removing old directories
>>> Old directories removed
To remove old libraries run '/usr/obj/usr/src/make.amd64/make
delete-old-libs'.

It turns out that somehow running make in src tree finds and tries to
run a copy from .OBJDIR, if one is present, unconditionally now. I do
not think this that is a particularly desirable and even sane behaviour
- once buildworld has finished, no tool should ever try to run
_anything_ from what is essentially a scratch space. Bootstrap and
cross tools should only be used during corresponding stages of
buildworld and by default.

--=20
Alexander Kabaev