Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2013 11:35:16 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Arthur Mesh <arthurmesh@gmail.com>, secteam@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: random(4) plugin infrastructure for mulitple RNG in a modular fashion

Replying to an earlier comments made:

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 09:42:51PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> > OK - so we are agreed that obrien@'s commit didn't break anything?
>
> It absolutely broke something.  It rendered my remote test machines useless
> after what should have been a routine source upgrade.  Even figuring
> out what happened and mashing on the remote keyboard only succeeded in
> making the machines limp forward with no /dev/random device.

Hi Scott,
Please give more detail about the issue if you can.  I would really like
to understand how the changeset negatively impacted you in order to fix
the issue.

I have used this changeset on headless machines (so no keyboard or mouse
entropy) with both GENERIC kernel and a kernel without RANDOM.  For
kernel without RANDOM I even waited until I had a login prompt to load
the ko's in order to test having no /dev/random until fully multi-user.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.org)