Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2013 11:56:57 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fabien Thomas <fabien.thomas@netasq.com>
Cc:        Arthur Mesh <arthurmesh@gmail.com>, secteam@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: random(4) plugin infrastructure for mulitple RNG in a modular fashion

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:05:57AM +0200, Fabien Thomas wrote:
> We need to have very good random by default.  Even selecting HW random
> automatically is not very good. HW random is difficult to trust.
>
> Why not having a good default software random seeded by automatically
> detected HW random ?  After that the user can choose to bypass the
> software random a feed directly by the HW random source.

Please don't hijack an infrastructure change that changes nothing for the
GENERIC kernel.

Please start a separate thread about changing how HW random sources are
handled in random(4) if you like.  But that is outside the scope of
this change.

[Adding flexibility to how the HW sources are used will be in one of our
next proposed changes.]

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)