Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:44:05 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Erik Cederstrand <erik+lists@cederstrand.dk>
Cc:        performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apparent performance regression 8.3@ -> 8.4@r255966?

--Vhqu5qQ3bjg0ZI9i

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 09:19:38PM +0200, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> ...=20
> > In examining the CPU utilization graphs, the CPU generally looks
> > about 5% busy for the first 15 minutes; this would be bmake determining
> > dependency graphs, I expect.
>=20
> Is that one process using 100% of one core, or many processes using 5% to=
tal?

It's closer to the first, but "which core" varies a bit over time.  (In
one specific instance, core 17, then 13 are at near 100% within that
first 15-minute interval.)

> > Based on earlier work I did, where I was able to do a similar build in a
> > native FreeBSD/i386 (no PAE) enviroment on the same hardware (but when
> > it still only had 6GB RAM), and I managed to get the build done in 2:47,
> > I believe that getting more work done in parallel in this 2:00 period is
> > a key to improving performance: the 2:47 result showed that period to be
> > a very busy one for the CPU.
>=20
> You need to know where your bottlenecks are during the build.

Indeed.  :-}

> Since you have lots of RAM, you could try to rule out differences in file=
system access by placing your jail on an mfs and building your software off=
 that.

That's an experiment that I've been advocating, but 96GB isn't enough.

> If that improves build times, then you're IO bound at least some of the t=
ime. You should be logging disk access along with CPU and memory during the=
 build.

FWIW, I'm seeing very little CPU time spent in interrupt mode.

I'll see if I can find a reasonable way to munge the output of iostat to
be usable for the purpose, I suppose; thanks.

Peace,
david
--=20
Taliban: Evil cowards with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.

--Vhqu5qQ3bjg0ZI9i

--Vhqu5qQ3bjg0ZI9i--