Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:58:25 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        James Griffin <jmz@kontrol.kode5.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg without hal

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:21:43 +0000, James Griffin wrote:
> Is it possible to configure X with the need for hald?
> If I generate and configure an xorg.conf with the
> appropriate settings, can I turn hald off?

You need to compile X without the HAL dependency (see
"man configure" for that port). If you also want to get
rid of DBUS, you can apply the same concept, but maybe
have to recompile programs running on X that might want
or need HAL and DBUS. After that, you can let X create
a xorg.conf file and modify it if you insist. You can
then remove the hald_enable and dbus_enable settings
from your rc.conf.

I'm running such a kind of installation for many years
now successfully. No need for HAL and DBUS. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany