Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2014 22:55:37 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw: fetch doesn't reach ftp://fttp.sites.foo

--Sig_/J+znIwIzI6+HxnpVE3+ZH3n

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:33:39 -0500
Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com> wrote:

> On 2014-03-07 13:57, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >=20
> > Recently I swaitched from pf to ipfw on some CURRENT boxes and for conv=
enience I used
> > the "workstation" predefinition of FreeBSD. But with that change, all a=
ccess of ports
> > via fetch located at ftp-sites stopped passing the filter.
> >=20
> > Even switching to "open" doesn't help and this is confusing me.
> >=20
> > The CURRENT box in question is passing its traffic within a LAN through=
 a gateway
> > running also FreeBSD CURRENT, but with pf. The gateway is performing NA=
T. As long as
> > the failing client behind the gateway system is using pf as the filter,=
 the traffic
> > for ftp seems to pass through. On the gateway with pf as the default fi=
lter, the
> > ports fetching via ftp-site their sources perform without problems.
> >=20
> > What is up with IPFW?
> >=20
> > Is their a solution? I tried to search google for "freebsd ipfw ftp" bu=
t I didn't find
> > anything suitable targeting my problem or any problem of that kind.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Thanks in adavance,
> >=20
> > Oliver=20
> >=20
>=20
> What error does fetch give? Is it having problems with DNS, connection
> to the FTP site, or just making the FTP DATA connection? Have you tried
> with 'passive' mode on/off?
>=20
The box doesn't have problems contacting any DNS.

Fetch gives the shown "errors" or simple timeouts.  Either manually or via =
portmaster to
update ports like the one shown below.

The very same port has no problems on the system having pf instead of ipfw.

I will switch back to pf on the box in question to check whether the choice=
 of firewall
really makes the difference.

This is what I get when seeting passive mode (it doesn't change anything fr=
om "active"
mode):

root@thor: [pciids] setenv FTP_PASSIVE_MODE YES

root@thor: [pciids] make fetch
=3D=3D=3D>  License BSD3CLAUSE GPLv2 GPLv3 accepted by the user
=3D=3D=3D>   pciids-20140301 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
=3D> pciids-20140301.tar.xz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=3D> Attempting to fetch
http://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-201=
40301.tar.xz
fetch:
http://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-201=
40301.tar.xz:
Not Found =3D> Attempting to fetch
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-2014=
0301.tar.xz
fetch:
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-2014=
0301.tar.xz:
No route to host =3D> Attempting to fetch
ftp://ftp.se.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-2=
0140301.tar.xz
fetch:
ftp://ftp.se.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-2=
0140301.tar.xz:
No route to host =3D> Attempting to fetch
ftp://ftp.uk.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-2=
0140301.tar.xz
fetch:
ftp://ftp.uk.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-2=
0140301.tar.xz:
No route to host =3D> Attempting to fetch
ftp://ftp.ru.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-2=
0140301.tar.xz
fetch: transfer timed out

--Sig_/J+znIwIzI6+HxnpVE3+ZH3n

--Sig_/J+znIwIzI6+HxnpVE3+ZH3n--