Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2014 16:33:58 +0000
From:      John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   backups of bhyve images

Hello list,

I have a few questions about creating backups to be stored offsite.

If a guest is running, can I compress the image without it becoming
inconsistent? If not, can it be copied without it becoming inconsistent?
By inconsistent, I mean will I see weird effects and broken files if the
backup is restored? Previously I've shut the VM down to avoid this,
before archiving.

I have each image on its own (external to the image) ZFS filesystem.
Internally the image is using ufs if freebsd, ext3fs if linux.  Would
using some ZFS method of duplication be better? In this case, would the
image become inconsistent?

Basically, what I want to do is to run accurate backups without shutting
down and restarting the VM. Is this possible? If it isn't, I think the
only alternative is to make a script that shuts the vm down, copies it,
restarts the vm then runs its compression and backup-over-ssh routine.

thanks,

--
John