Date:      Tue, 09 Dec 2014 21:10:09 +0000
From:      "Isaac (.ike) Levy" <ike@blackskyresearch.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   10Gbit Interface Testing

Hi All,

In our relatively small environment, I'm looking for pointers in=20
testing 10Gbit network performance, for internet-facing connectivity.=20=20
Our enviornment employs pairs of routers running FreeBSD- also=20
utilizing PF, CARP, and PFSYNC.

We have 2 core problems testing the 10Gbit interfaces:

1) A lack of external options on the internet for testing.  We've found=20
it non-trivial to adequately saturate a 10Gbit internet connection in=20
2014, (without having one or two more 10Gbit connections to saturate).=20=
=20
We simply don't have enough outside resources we control to saturate=20
our lines for reasonable tests.

2) We've done our homework on testing, but would love any input from=20
this audience about ways to measure any of these:
- PPS (easier)
- Maximum Socket Connections (easier)
- New Socket Connections per Second (harder!)
- Redline Throughput (easier)
- Ways to measure PF performance, (state handling, etc...)
- Ways to start measure/test ALTQ based shaping, as we experiment with it.

Thanks for any input!

Best,
.ike