Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2015 15:09:36 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Cc:        "pgsql@FreeBSD.org" <pgsql@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: postgresql93 port and libedit

--Pes7OZCOzfZhFQfq

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:37:49AM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>=20
>=20
> 17 jan 2015 kl. 01:41 skrev Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>:
>=20
> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 08:02:22PM -0800, Waitman Gobble wrote:
GPLv3.
> >>=20
> >> Thanks so much for the feedback. I've considered the options regarding
> >> my project and I think it's more work to handle end-user devices with
> >> a pkg repository if I indeed must manage custom ports built using
> >> customized sources. Distributing the initial appliance isn't the
> >> problem, i'm working out an update strategy for down the road.
> >>=20
> >=20
> > https://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/pglibedit.diff
> >=20
> > This patch works for me and accepts perfectly unicode.
> >=20
> > Can anyone from the postgresql team test, generalize to other postegres=
ql
> > versions? (please keep it using the port version of libedit).
> >=20
> > Best regards,
> > Bapt
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> Looks like a reasonable patch. I have a hard time finding the differences=
 between readine and ilbedit. It aims at 100% API compatibility. How good i=
s libedit? If it degrades functionality compared to readline it should real=
ly be an option, but I agree, lesser options are preferred.=20
>=20
> Palle
It is not 100% compatible but I think it implements all pgsql requirements,=
 only
the version in ports and he head handle correctly unicode.

Some of the default settings are a bit different most ^W but that can be ch=
anged
via .editrc

mysql has tips about the differences:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17952_01/refman-5.6-en/mysql-tips.html

=46rom what I can read in the code psql only uses compatible interfaces.

As the one who have done the latet updates on libedit both base and ports, I
would recommand to only use the version from ports on all version of FreeBS=
D as
I can add quick fixes if needed.

Once I'm sure the libedit in base is good enough everywhere we would be abl=
e to
switch on the base version if people prefers to avoid an external dep.

Best regards,
Bapt

--Pes7OZCOzfZhFQfq

--Pes7OZCOzfZhFQfq--