Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:58:44 +0100
From:      Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating alpine port to new version (as a maintainer)

Hi!

> I am the port maintainer of the alpine port, nevertheless not a very
> experienced one.
>
> The alpine mailer has recently been updated from 2.11 to 2.20 and I as a
> maintainer would like to update the port to the new version.
>
> According to the porter's handbook I have to use diff to create a patch in
> order to upgrade the alpine port. Is this correct?

Yes.

Here's how I do updates:

I have

DEVELOPER=yes

in /etc/make.conf. I copy the current port to some temp directory:

cd /usr/ports && tar cf - mail/alpine | ( cd ~/myp; tar xf -)

Then I modify the copy:

cd ~/myp/mail/alpine

# change version
vi Makefile

# fix distinfo, make makesum does this for mw
make makesum

# then I check the build and stuff on my test system (10.1-amd64)
rm -rf work && make check-plist
[ some iterations later ]

# I then test it with poudriere in three architectures:
# copy to the poudriere ports tree (~/pp in my case):

cd ~/myp && tar cf - mail/alpine | ( cd ~/pp; tar xf -)

# and tests:

for i in 10x 93a 84i
do
    name=`echo $port-$i | sed -e 's/\//__/g'`
    echo -n "$i "
    poudriere testport -j $i -o $port -n > ~/logs/${name}-${stmp}.txt
done

# if it works on all plattforms, I compare my changes to the old port:
cd /usr/ports && diff -r -u -N mail/alpine ~/myp/mail/alpine

This diff can be attached to the problem report in bugzilla.

--
pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         5 years to go !