Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:49:56 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange package checksum report

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2

On 2015-Jan-24 22:03:23 -0500, Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org> wro=
te:
><<On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 02:47:12 +0100, Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav <des@des.no=
> said:
>> These are Pyhon bytecode files. They are automatically regenerated if
>> you have write access to them and Python thinks they are stale when it
>> tries to load them.  Apparently, Python's definition of "stale" is
>> slightly more complex than just comparing timestamps; they are one of
>> the reasons why Baptiste gave up reproducible package builds.
>
>That's unfortunate.  Perhaps either Python can be trained to write
>updated copies somewhere else?

If Python isn't going to use the .pyc files we ship (because it thinks
they are out of date), we might as well not ship them.

> Or maybe we can generate them
>at package installation rather than shipping pregenerated versions?

My feeling is that we should only distribute .py files and build the
=2Epyc files at package install time.  As far as I can see, this is what
Ubuntu and Debian (the two Linux distros I have ready access to) do.

>(Would slow down builds of dependent packages, but those are the
>breaks.)

It would be interesting to know how big an impact this is.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2--