Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2015 12:44:42 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atomic v_usecount and v_holdcnt

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 02:44:12AM +0100, Mateusz Guzik wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:46:43AM +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> > > Modified the patch to no longer have the usecount + interlock dropped +
> > > VI_OWEINACT set window.
> > >
> > > Extended 0->1 hold count + vnode not locked window remains. I can fix
> > > that if it is really necessary by having _vhold return with interlock
> > > held if it did such transition.
> >
> > In v_upgrade_usecount(), you call v_incr_devcount() without without interlock
> > held.  What prevents the devfs vnode from being recycled, in particular,
> > from invalidation of v_rdev pointer ?
> >

> Right, that was buggy. Fixed in the patch below.
Why non-atomicity of updates to several counters is safe ?  This at least
requires an explanation in the comment, I mean holdcnt/usecnt pair.

Assume the thread increased the v_usecount, but did not managed to
acquire dev_mtx. Another thread performs vrele() and progressed to
v_decr_devcount(). It decreases the si_usecount, which might allow yet
another thread to see the si_usecount as too low and start unwanted
action. I think that the tests for VCHR must be done at the very
start of the functions, and devfs vnodes must hold vnode interlock
unconditionally.

> > I think that refcount_acquire_if_greater() KPI is excessive.  You always
> > calls acquire with val == 0, and release with val == 1.
> >

> Yea i noted in my prevoius e-mail it should be changed (see below).
>
> I replaced them with refcount_acquire_if_not_zero and
> refcount_release_if_not_last.
I dislike the length of the names.  Can you propose something shorter ?

The type for the local variable old in both functions should be u_int.

> > WRT to _refcount_release_lock, why is lock_object->lc_lock/lc_unlock KPI
> > cannot be used ? This allows to make refcount_release_lock() a function
> > instead of gcc extension macros.  Not to mention that the macro is unused.
>
> These were supposed to be used by other code, forgot to remove it from
> the patch I sent here.
>
> We can discuss this in another thread.
>
> Striclty speaking we could use it here for vnode interlock, but I did
> not want to get around VI_LOCK macro (which right now is just a
> mtx_lock, but this may change).
>
> Updated patch is below:
Do not introduce ASSERT_VI_LOCK, the name difference between
ASSERT_VI_LOCKED and ASSERT_VI_LOCK is only in the broken grammar.
I do not see anything wrong with explicit if() statements where needed,
in all four places.

In vputx(), wrap the long line (if (refcount_release() || VI_DOINGINACT)).