Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:40:23 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quarterly packages and security updates...

--j+MD90OnwjQyWNYt

[info@ removed, not sure why that email address was included.]

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 04:20:08PM -0400, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> A recently quarterly report:
>=20
>     https://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2015-04-2015-06.html
>=20
> and last week's BSD Now episode both hint that quarterly packages will be=
 the
> default for 10.2. I just looked, and sure enough:
>=20
>     https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.2/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf?view=
=3Dmarkup
>=20
> So, my issue here is that I run quarterly branches, and they are awful in
> terms of security updates. With FreeBSD 10.2 imminent, are we expecting u=
sers
> to install vulnerable versions of things like Firefox right off the bat, =
and
> then wait for whatever fixes exist at the time the next quarterly branch =
is
> cut?
>=20

The reason this change was made is because the quarterly package set
receives less intrusive updates, but it does still receive security
updates.

This is documented in the 10.2-RELEASE release notes, which also shows
how to change back to the 'latest' branch, if you so desire.

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/relnotes.html#releng-changes

Glen

--j+MD90OnwjQyWNYt

--j+MD90OnwjQyWNYt--