Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:52:25 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   upnp/dlna

Hi,

I have two FreeBSD boxes running mediatomb and minidlna. I also have a
couple of clients, mostly internet radios by different manufacturers
(Sangean, Philips, Renkforce...).
I have the (weird) issue that neither mediatomb nor minidlna appears to see
the multicasts discovery messages (not even with tcpdump!) sent by the
clients. Subsequently they never answer them and are not found by the
client devices.
The servers also emit multicasts in a fixed time interval to annouce their
services. I can see these with tcpdump on the box that emits the package,
and some of the clients (Sangean, notably) are able to pick these up and
work with the server just fine then. The Philips and Renkforce devices
appear to ignore these broadcasts and never come up with any server.
Even on the 2nd FreeBSD box I never get to see the announcement of the dlna
server running on the other box (using tcpdump, again).
There is no smart hardware involved, just a single switch, and a WLAN
access point for the clients. The access point has a build-in
media-server, too. This works fine with all clients, but again I never get
to see any multicast messages from it on the FreeBSD boxes.

So I have the strange feeling that my FreeBSD boxes ignore multicast
packages on the receiving end. The only thing that works is sending a
multicast package from the box. I did not change the default configuration
of the network devices in any way, and actually they appear to be ok (I
think):

---
root@blackpool:~ # ifmcstat -i igb0 -f inet
igb0:
        inet 192.168.1.242
        igmpv3 rv 2 qi 125 qri 100 uri 3
                group 224.0.0.251 mode exclude
                        mcast-macaddr 01:00:5e:00:00:fb
                group 239.255.255.250 mode exclude
                        mcast-macaddr 01:00:5e:7f:ff:fa
                group 224.0.0.1 mode exclude
                        mcast-macaddr 01:00:5e:00:00:01

root@blackpool:~ # ifconfig igb0
igb0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0
mtu 1500
options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>
ether 00:25:90:82:80:cc inet 192.168.1.242 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
192.168.1.255 nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        status: active

root@blackpool:~ # netstat -rn4
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags      Netif Expire
default            192.168.1.247      UGS        igb0
127.0.0.1          link#5             UH          lo0
192.168.1.0/24     link#1             U          igb0
192.168.1.242      link#1             UHS         lo0
---

The packets under question go to "239.255.255.250.1900: UDP".
I must admit that I am rather new to this upnp/dlna business (isn't this
supposed to "just work" :-), so I may be doing something very obivously
(to other people :-) wrong.
Any hints and suggestions are highly appreciated.

cu
  Gerrit