Date:      Fri, 6 May 2016 14:08:15 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Edward Tomasz Napiera?a <trasz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: r298143: something wrong with autofs?

--Sig_/LW2UVQ9HUWL7RBEUNscQqp0

Am Wed, 4 May 2016 20:41:51 +0200
Edward Tomasz Napiera?a <trasz@FreeBSD.org> schrieb:

> On 0503T1849, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Am Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:39:44 +0200
> > Edward Tomasz Napiera=C5=82a <trasz@FreeBSD.org> schrieb:
> >  =20
> > > On 0417T1057, O. Hartmann wrote: =20
> > >=20
> > > "Bound"? =20
> >=20
> > ... means: the cleint does not mount/bind the NFS exported filesystem a=
nymore. =20
>=20
> Ok.
>=20
> > >=20
> > > Could you describe in more detail what are you seeing?  Also, the usu=
al autofs
> > > debugging technique ("pkill automountd && while :; do automountd -d; =
done") might
> > > sched some light. =20
> >=20
> > Well, I see nothing! That is my problem. I setup several NFSv4 exported=
 filesystems
> > which were mounted on demand via autofs - that workd. Since I do not us=
e/need those
> > filesystems on a dailt basis, I realized too late that in the meanwhile=
 those
> > filesystems are not present on the client (autofs) anymore. I'm not awa=
re of having
> > changed anything in the configuration and I didn't receive any heads-up=
s that
> > essential changes had been made. =20
>=20
> Hm, it certainly seems weird.  Are the autofs instances mounted where
> there should be?  Could you send me your /etc/auto_master, the maps,
> and dmesg output?  Thanks!

Hello Edward,

sorry for the late answer. I can not (I'm not allowed!) offer config data f=
rom any of the
lab's/bureaus computers, so I decided to check again the whole config, sinc=
e several
boxes do as expected and others not (which is the weird part). I found a si=
mple culprit:
somewhere in the near past, /etc/auto_master received an update and I simpl=
y have
overwritten the old one with the new one. So the autofs system never checke=
d the exported
filessystem's list given by a mandatory /etc/auto_ext file and in the logic=
al consequence,
no filesystem defined there was mounted.

After simply adding the missing line the mounting of the expected filesyste=
ms worked
again.

Kind regards,
Oliver