Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2016 16:47:03 +0100
From:      Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        bapt@freebsd.org, rb-general@lists.reproducible-builds.org
Subject:   makefs: -T maximum-time argument

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+

Hi!

During discussion of reproducible FreeBSD at FOSDEM16, I mentioned that
in Debian we have a patch for makefs to clamp timestamps.  The typical
usage is -T $SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH and at least on UFS (with consistent
readdir order) this allows to build reproducible images of our installer.

Debian's makefs actually comes from MirBSD, who merged this patch today.

I've attached it, rebased for FreeBSD but I'm afraid I've not tested it
there at all.  Hopefully someone can check it and consider merging.

The same flag was also added to NetBSD some months ago:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/makefs/makefs.8.diff?r1=3D=
1.53&r2=3D1.54&only_with_tag=3DMAIN&f=3Dh
though they support the use of -T <filename> as well as -T <integer>

Thanks!
Regards,
--=20
Steven Chamberlain