Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:49:37 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   OS version upgrade detected. Running "pkg-static install -f pkg" recommended

Hi ports@
With:
  uname -a
    FreeBSD lapr.js.berklix.net 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT \
    #1 r302560M: Wed Jul 13 01:28:27 CEST 2016 \
    jhs@lapr.js.berklix.net:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/LAPR.small amd64

  cd /usr/ports; svn up
    Updating '.':
    At revision 418418

  make fetch
    pkg-static: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  \
    Running "pkg-static install -f pkg" recommended

This is an incomplete thus bad reccomendation, based on a false
assumption all users of ports/ only want packages. It's quite obvious
from "make fetch" that here one wants to fetch distfiles to recompile,
not install binary packages, the warning should at least also provide
an alternate recipe for ports/ source based users who want to
recompile whatever to get rid of warning.

What causes the warning ? a grep of Mk/* doesnt show it,
It's presumably coming from Mk/ calling some pkg ?
In /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg ? I fail to grep for Major

What text can we add to which Mk/* to state the source upgrade route ?

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.eu/jhs/
 Mail plain text,  No quoted-printable, HTML, base64, MS.doc.