Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2016 17:07:35 +0200
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mika=EBl?= Urankar <mikael.urankar@gmail.com>
Cc:        Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 11.0-RC2 getting stuck on a Raspberry Pi 2 model B during boot

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 21:05:28 +0200
Mika=EBl Urankar <mikael.urankar@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Because I had mixed experiences using Qemu (some versions work, some
> > don't, etc.) I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi 2 model B and a Raspberry
> > Pi 3 to do my ARM hacking.
> >
> > First step: trying to get the Raspberry Pi 2 model B to boot. What I've=
 done:

> > 1. Downloaded the .img from freebsd.org
> > 2. On Mac OS X, copied the 1 GB image to a 16 GB SD card:
> >
> > sudo dd if=3DFreeBSD-11.0-RC2-arm-armv6-RPI2.img of=3D/dev/rdisk2 bs=3D=
1024k

> > 3. Put the SD card in the Raspberry Pi 2 and boot it.
> >
> > The result: it gets stuck during boot. I also just discovered that I
> > don't have a spare USB keyboard, so I can't 'boot -v' yet.
> >
> > Anyway, I've taken a photo I of the television. Is this a known
> > issue that has a trivial workaround? If not, then I guess I'll have to
> > start debugging...
> >
> > http://80386.nl/pub/rpi2-stuck.jpg
>=20
> The first boot is always long because of growfs, how long did you wait?

 This is true, especially with slow or large sd card, it can take a very
long time.
 I suggest to buy an USB<->UART adapter because if you don't need it
now you will later.
 Also if you have access to your dhcpd logs, watch for ip attribution.
All ARM images are configured to do dhcp and you can ssh with user/pass
freebsd/freebsd.

--=20
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>