Date:      Sun, 2 Oct 2016 11:00:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   recent security updates to 10.3-RELEASE broke xdm?

This is an amd64 laptop.
After updating to:

# /bin/freebsd-version -ku
10.3-RELEASE-p7
10.3-RELEASE-p9

My xdm doesn't want to login me anymore.
As soon as I enter the passwd, xdm reboots
and presents me with the login prompt again.

I see this in .xsession-errors:

Protocol not supported by server
Couldn't connect to :0
Protocol not supported by server
mwm: Could not open display.
Protocol not supported by server
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:path=/tmp/dbus-dEtC0CeeXH,guid=f1d367e2b8c81e06b0
b3ce7257f0d422';
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS;
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=1555;
D-Bus per-session daemon address is:

My .xsession script is:

xautolock -locker slock &
mwm

# test for an existing bus daemon, just to be safe
if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
    # if not found, launch a new one
    eval 'dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session'
    echo "D-Bus per-session daemon address is: $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"
fi

Am I out of date?
Is my .xsession script too old?

Any other advice?