Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2016 16:57:05 +0200
From:      Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dependency explosions

--Sig_/8hfOz_ZLwDB12d2C5jY/CtY

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 14:29:27 +0000
Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:

> On 03/10/2016 14:11, Mike Clarke wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 13:11:43 +0000
> > Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Shouldn't all packages default to noX dependencies? If I am not mistak=
en
> >> FreeBSD is predominantly a server-side system, with X running only
> >> occasionally
> > I'd disagree with that. I don't know whether or not the majority of
> > FreeBSD installations are servers or personal computers but the chances
> > are that the majority of server installations will have relatively few
> > packages installed whereas most PC's are likely to make use of far
> > more packages and are also likely to be using X. Building from ports
> > to get the required options would be a much bigger task for these
> > installations than it would be for the servers.
> >
>=20
> I have been wondering if it would be possible to have two distinct set=20
> of packages compiled automatically, one tailored for X and one for the=20
> console. It seems that requirements of both environment are quite=20
> opposite. The server-side requires small amount of packages without X=20
> because it wants to run the system headless, as long as possible and=20
> without interruptions and restarts. Whereas the X/PC environment always=20
> wants to have everything latest and newest. In the Linux world they=20
> would just create a new distribution, even in the BSD world there is=20
> PC-BSD/TrueOS. But we have ports and can re-use the same base for two=20
> distinctive set of packages. I don't believe we can create pre-compiled=20
> packages for FreeBSD in such a way, that both camps are happy (which=20
> this thread is one of many signs of).
>=20
> Grzegorz

That must be somehow possible and even extensible to be something like macp=
orts variants, except with binary package support (macports localy build pa=
ckages when user defined option differs from default); but this would take =
signifiant space and processing power...

On the other hand, setting OPTIONS_UNSET to include X11 is quite trivial. I=
 would expect a server administrator to be more proficient in that kind of =
settings...

PS. I agree with the multiplication of dependencies, but I see them as the =
result of nowaday FOSS ecosystem practices rather than port management issu=
es.

--=20
Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>