Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:24:03 +0200
From:      Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: harder and harder to avoid pkg

--Sig_/Cd=XTY91RPT+/DajFEaQQHP

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 11:59:47 -0700
Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> As the number of dependencies between packages get ever higher, it=20
> becomes more and more difficult to compile packages and the dependence=20
> on binary precompiled packages is increased. However binary packages=20
> are unsuitable for some situations.  We really need to follow the lead=20
> of some of the Linux groups and have -runtime and -devel versions of=20
> packages,  OR  we what woudlbe smarter, woudl be to have several "sub=20
> manifests" to allow unpacking in different environments.
> [...]
>=20

And GNU/Linuxes can be a PITA when you have to track -dev(el) packages (whi=
ch sometimes really requires -bin, -app or whatever), or worst, describe to=
 people how they are supposed to build your software with weird subpackage =
names.

I really like that ports provides the software project as intended by upstr=
eam (modulo options).

--=20
Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>

--Sig_/Cd=XTY91RPT+/DajFEaQQHP