Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:49:30 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

Hi John,

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:11:02 +0100
"John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > To the best of my recollection at the time there was no need
> > whatsoever to configure these NICs into promiscuous mode, which in
>
> you need this for fault-tolerant computing. A machine or a device
> with a known goes down, the failure will be detected and another
> device or machine is configured to take over the other's task by also
> taking over the other's MAC address. The communication partners will
> only a delay but not a failure.
>
> JKi: I'm curious, would, in your experience, the impact of any delay
> incurred by tinkering with addresses at both layer-3 AND layer-2 in a
> failover situation be less in comparison to any delay incurred when
> tinkering with the addresses at layer-3 ONLY and leave the recovery of
> addressing issues at layer-2 to the relevant protocols?

it depends of what you want. When the machine connecting to the
fault-tolerant machine is not fault-tolerant, it will not be able to
change any addresses. All it will do is repeating requests. A watch-dog
should have realised by then that either the interface or the machine
with the interface is down and should have activated either a different
interface or a different machine.

It is just one of many option you have. And it is a cheap option as you
can make even FreeBSD fault-tolerant with this as the operating system
does not play any part in this kind of fault-tolerance.

Erich