Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:17:52 +0000
From:      Matt Smith <matt.xtaz@gmail.com>
To:        "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <kuku@kukulies.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how long does a make buildworld normally take?

On Nov 18 10:38, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
>how long does a make buildworld normally take?
>Has make buildworld time constant over the years?
>

>In 1995 "make world" on a Pentium Pro about 18 hours
>On my 4GB, CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
>(1995.64-MHz 686-class CPU)
>make buildworld took about 18 hours. Well that CPU isn't the latest
>either (10 Years or so)

18 hours?! On my current home-server which is an Intel Atom D525 1.8ghz
it only takes 5 hours. And these are not known for being fast at all. In
1996 ish I was doing it on something like a pentium 75 and I think it
still took about 5 hours. So you're right there! 18 hours seems way too
long though.

These days it compiles things like clang which take a very long time.

--
Matt