Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:48:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   dup3() - I've thought it over and decided...

It's a hack.  Forget about it. :-)

That said, I think that there's a need for a more generalized I/O
model which allows this kind of in-flight disconnection and
reconnection of I/O handles a process might have open, but it needs to
be a lot more involved than just thwapping over somebody's file
handles. :-) There needs to be some mechanism for flushing or
discarding pending I/O on reconnect, for one thing, and it needs to
play friendly with stdio.

I'll think about the problem some more.. :)

					Jordan