Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:47:37 -0800
From:      Karl Young <karly@kipshouse.org>
Subject:   NFS and amd on older FreeBSD

I inherited a lab that has a few hundred hosts running FreeBSD 7.2.
These hosts run test scripts that access files that are stored on
FreeBSD 6.3 host.  The 6.3 host exports a /data directory with NFS

On the 7.2 hosts, I can see the exported directory:

$ showmount -e 6.3-host
Exports list on 6.3-host
/data                              Everyone

And access it with amd

$ ls -l /net/6-3.host/data

drwxr-xr-x     5 root  wheel      512 Jun  4  2009 git
drwxr-xr-x  4586 root  wheel    83968 Nov  2 04:50 home

I'm trying to retire the 6.3 host and replace it with 9.3 (I know it's
old, but it's the best I can do for now).

I export the /data directory on the 9.3 system, and I can see it on my
7.2 hosts.

$ showmount -e  9.3-host
Exports list on 9.3-host:
/data                           Everyone

But I can't automount it:

$ ls -l /net/9.3-host/data
ls: /net/9.3-host/data: No such file or directory

If I manually mount the exported directory, it works:

$ sudo mount -t nfs 9.3-host:/data /mnt/data/
$ mount | grep nfs
9.3-host:/data on /mnt/data (nfs)

$ ls -l /mnt/data
total 4
drwxr-xr-x  9 root  wheel  512 Dec 20 17:41 iaf2

I've spent some time on Google, but haven't found a solution.  I realize
these are very old versions, but I'm not in a position to upgrade them
right now.  My last resort will be to use /etc/fstab to do the NFS
mount, but I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Thanks for any pointers on how to resolve this.

-karl