Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2017 20:17:22 +0000
From:      heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fbsd11 & sshv1

Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 01:24:29PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav:
> heasley <heas@shrubbery.net> writes:
> > Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no> writes:
> > > FreeBSD 10 supports SSHv1 and will continue to do so.  FreeBSD 11
> > > and 12 do not, and neither does the openssh-portable port.  I'm
> > > afraid you will have to find some other SSH client.
> > That is sad;
>
> You know what would be even sadder?  If the OpenSSH developers had to
> continue to devote significant resources to maintaining a rat's nest of
> legacy code so 0.0001% of their users could continue to use an obsolete
> protocol to connect to obsolete equipment, instead of devoting those
> same resources to developing new features and improving existing ones.
> Especially when those users have plenty of alternatives to choose from,
> including but not limited to security/putty.

I was not suggesting that openssl maintain their apparently messy code;
they're maintaining it already, for whatever the remaining period is.
i'm suggesting a port with a v1 client; that is built with all the other
binary ports for abi changes and whatever else is reasonable.  yes, i
can build my own, but i feel it should be a port.

I appreciate the putty suggestion, but it appears to be graphical only.
Happy to have it pointed-out that I've missed a port having v1.

i also understand the devote position of buy new equipment to advance
security; its simply not going to happen anytime soon.  and i'm not alone.
i'm not rich, i don't crontrol depreciation schedules, etc etc.