Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2017 08:57:40 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting an old kernel on RPI2

A recent world/kernel build went badly wrong, resulting in an
"out of memory" report on the console and no further progress.

There are two spare kernels on the system, kernel.old and kernel.spare,
but even kernel.spare, which I know worked, still produces the same
"out of memory" prompt on the console.

The console output contains:
loader> load /boot/kernel.spare/kernel
/boot/kernel.spare/kernel data=0x60f7e4+0x10081c syms=[0x4+0x83aa0+0x4+0x97216]
loader> boot -s
Booting...
followed by the line
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2a [rw,noatime]...
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set accurately
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

Somewhat later the console emitted
random: unblocking device
which I didn't expect; I thought it would wait at the # prompt.
In this state even the debugger escape just produces "out of memory".

Am I making a syntax error in trying to boot kernel.spare in single user?

Might this behavior indicate a hardware problem of some sort?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska