Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:59:47 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, d@delphij.net, theraven@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why en_US.UTF-8 locale consider a < A?

El día Wednesday, March 08, 2017 a las 12:51:11AM -0800, Xin Li escribió:

> On 3/8/17 00:40, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> >> Is this result correct?  It matches some Debian behavior but not macOS
> >> behavior.
> >
> > Yes the result is correct, macOS does not have unicode collation if you want to
> > match the macos behaviour you have to set LC_COLLATE=C
>
> Thanks, I also found this https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
> just for the record if someone else hits the same issue.

I recently came across with a related problem and have two questions
(unresolved until now):

1.
Using sort, reading the man page of it, it should be sufficient to
set LC_COLLATE correctly. It seems that setting LANG (or unsetting it)
changes the sort Order, why?

2.
Speaking about German Umlauts, should they be treated as their normal
letters, i.e. 'ä' is like 'a', as one can read in Wiki, or how they are
sorted exactly?

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045