Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:28:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wicontrol -p args

> To: Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
> Subject: Re: wicontrol -p args
> Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 08:15:29 -0700
> From: Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
>

> So what the heck is peer to peer mode and how does it
> differ from adhoc IBSS mode?

IBSS and adhoc are two different things.

> which is:
>
> # wicontrol -p 1
> # wicontrol -c 1
> # wicontrol -n someessid
>
> and then we have managed mode

With -p 1, -c is irrelevant.

People often think that -p 1 -c 1 is how you can make a 'virtual airport' (I
used to think this), but that's not what it's for. This is probably why the
man page says it doesn't work. The driver is not currently capable of
turning a card into an access point. I would like nothing more than to be
able to set a few flags in wicontrol and then use the netgraph bridge node
to hook a wireless segment to a wired one, but this would fail because the
driver can't even perform promiscuous transmission, much less emulate an
access point.

> managed
> # wicontrol -p 1
> # wicontrol -c 0
> # wicontrol -n ornot ...
>
> and then we have demo ad hoc mode, which was not IBSS mode ...
> and does not interop with any other hw from other vendors.

wicontrol -p 0
wicontrol -c 1
wicontrol -n peer_group
wicontrol -f 10

is how you set up the "peer to peer" mode. This interoperates with the "peer
to peer" setting of the latest Orinocco drivers for M$ OSes. "-c 1" is
required by at least one of the members of the group, but is harmless if
done by multiple members. Setting channel 10 is also required, since the
Orinocco drivers do not allow peer-to-peer groups to choose a channel, and
10 is what the driver uses (perhaps this is a registry setting?).

> demo ad hoc
> # wicontrol -p 3

This is the older-style "adhoc" peer-to-peer stuff. It is no longer
supported by current Orinocco drivers.