Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2018 00:21:36 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <as@cmplx.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: touchpad mouse not working

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 20:38:18 GMT, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> Please help get a touchpad mouse working.
> I've moused_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
> which should be enough.
> However, I don't see psm in dmesg.
> What am I missing?

Check if the built-in touchpad has been deactivated
in the CMOS setup (sometimes possible). If it does
not appear in dmesg as psm0, check if it _might_ be
connected to USB internally, so ums0 should be visitble
(and moused should be started fot it automatically).
Also check if there is a hardware switch for deactivating
the touchpad (probably not, but I don't know what
hardware you're using).

> A usb attached mouse works fine.

Yes, because the USB subsystem can recognize it and will
launch a moused instance automatically. With psm, it
usually is not the case; you will have to specify at
least the mouse port:

	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_port="/dev/psm0"
	moused_type="auto"

The "auto" type should work fine, though.

However, if you don't have a psm0 device, it won't help. :-(

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany