Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2018 17:43:41 +0100
From:      Mark Raynsford <list+org.freebsd.virtualization@io7m.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Read-only view of a ZFS filesystem inside a bhyve guest?

--Sig_/so_TmJYKX8rR4Cl84I3fwjK

Hello.

I'm looking to do what the subject says: I have an existing ZFS
filesystem (/storage/xyz) and I'd like to provide a read-only view of
the filesystem to a set of bhyve guests. The guests in this case could
be solely FreeBSD guests, but if there's a pleasant way to allow for
OpenBSD or Linux guests, I'd like that.

I'm essentially looking to move some jail-based infrastructure to bhyve
guests. With the jails, I have a ZFS filesystem on the host that's
mounted read-only inside some of the jails using nullfs. I'm not sure
if there's something analogous for bhyve guests.

I've looked at NFS, but this seems like overkill and possibly hard to
secure. Same applies to Samba. sshfs might be an option, but I'd really
prefer to have as few daemons listening on the host machine as possible
for security reasons.

--=20
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com