Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2018 01:20:33 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        David Johnson <djtherenovator@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with an Urgent Matter

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:08:14 -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> I have found a FreeBSD OS embedded in my Mac which is fully implemented.
> I followed the instructions and did the following from your website
> documentation:
>
> in terminal;  shutdown -k +1 "message"
>
> I get the following:
>
> System shutdown time has arrived
>
> but you'll have to do it yourself
>

>  I am not sure what to do at this prompt....what does 'do it yourself
> mean', and what do I type to complete the process??

It means you have to shutdown the system yourself, because
shutdown -k won't do it.

The -k option just logs out any users and prevents further
logins. From the manual:

     -k      Kick everybody off.  The -k option does not actually halt the
             system, but leaves the system multi-user with logins disabled
             (for all but super-user).

Maybe you're searching for something that really shuts down
the system? Check those options:

	-h	-> shutdown and halt system (don't power off)
		   related command: halt

	-p	-> shutdown and power off system
		   related command: poweroff

	-r	-> shutdown and reboot system
		   related command: reboot

See "man shutdown" for details. On macOS, you'll probably
have local access to the manuals. :-)

> Also in addition to the above question....
>
> does the fact that those commands do actually work mean that I am correct
> in
>
> believing that there is a FreeBSD OS embedded in my system?

FreeBSD's userland is in fact part of the macOS software.
But it uses a different kernel (Darwin).

See the BSD family tree (and Mac OS X / macOS in relation to
FreeBSD):

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/share/misc/bsd-family-tree

Additional information:

http://www.freebsdworld.gr/freebsd/bsd-family-tree.html