Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 09:30:42 +0000
From:      Edward Tomasz =?utf-8?Q?Napiera=C5=82a?= <trasz@freebsd.org>
To:        Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

On 0125T2110, Gleb Popov wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 8:58 PM Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I would like to import mksh in base, https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm
> > And make it the default root shell (not necessary in one step)
> >
> > Why:
> > 1/ it is tiny 400k (in the packaged version) all other shells fitting the
> > expectation are bigger
> > 2/ it's default frontend in interactive mode is very close to what most
> > people
> > are used to with bash
>

> Are there FreeBSD users that are used to bash? If not, this proposal looks
> like another "let's do like Linux" thing.

To be honest I'd expect most FreeBSD users to be used to bash.  I know
I was, until few years ago I've moved to zsh.

Most people nowadays come from Linux background, sometimes also OSX.
And that means their primary shell, the one they are used to, is bash,
since it's the default on both of those platforms.  It's fine to
provide something different if it is actually better - but being different
just for the sake of it, like defaulting to a shell that can't handle
a basic "2>&1", is not.